SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION! : (
TWITTER   FACEBOOK   RSS                                                                                  

Monday, November 22, 2010

ALBUM REVIEW: NICKI MINAJ - PINK FRIDAY




First things first, shout out BP (@whatupBP) for letting me review this album on the site. He gave me the option of this or 'Ye; I chose this because my opinion would be biased with 'Ye cause he has a quadrillion hits under him. 


With that being said Nicki Minaj finally drops her "highly anticipated album" today. Speaking for the fellas - the only thing pink I'm trying to unwrap on a Friday is not a Nicki Minaj album (wait for it.) These Barbies and these Ken's (major pause) finally have their queen's arrival. So I'll give you my play by play of P.I.N.K. Friday exactly how it plays out while I listened...and here we go... *presses play*



1. I'm The Best - Sounds like she has emotion. No strange voices on this one, she's actually spittin too. I think I like this Nicki. She spits how she's the best doing it, which you can't really argue with her at this point. There really is no competition.  Only thing chicks can really do or have done is make youtube beef videos.


2. Roman's Revenge ft Eminem - Easily the highlight of the album. I've never heard Nicki spaz out the way she did on this joint. She does a little bit of the voices on this song, but it fits cuz its a crazy song so I'm not mad at that. Do I really need to speak on Em? Dude pulled out Slim Shady on this one, and Nicki held her own with arguably the best rapper in the game. She did way better holding her own with Em than Wayne did...Haaaaa...


3. Did It On 'Em - Whoa...as soon as the beat dropped I felt like, I was in the 80's again. Beat is banging like crazy. This Nicki sounds like she knows she the shit effortlessly shittin on other female rappers (whoever that may be, but yea.) She's nice when she just raps though. Hold on...lmao wack line (if you could turn back time...Cher...you used to be here now your gone...Nair). That one almost ruined the song for me lol.


4. Right Thru Me - This was the first song I heard her just rap with emotion and passion, so I dug it. Its played too much now, so I don't really care for it. Besides the lacefront, the video is a nice visual, that shower scene is on point.


5. Fly ft Rihanna - Ummm not too much to say on this song; kinda forgettable to be honest.  With all the hype behind these 2 women, you would think of some type of epic collab...but that was NOT delivered. To describe it, its just some rise to the top song where she gives a repetitive lackluster rhyme scheme...NEXT...


6. Save Me - She gives a little singing performance on this song...its cool. I'll give it to her; she can hold a note. However, its not quite clear who she's asking to save her, God? Lucifer? She's hearing voices and shit...what a weirdo...


7. Moment For Life ft Drake - She seems to be rapping a lot about her rise to stardom. Which is cool I suppose, but most times from a first album, I expect to hear hunger, not how much you've been eating. It is a new day and age though. Drake does his usual thing  and he's consistent, so I can't say it was a wack feature. But this one just wasn't a shining one either.


8. Check It Out ft Will.I.Am - Very pop, bubbly, girlie song. Its quite clear this was to be a Fergie or Katy Perry song or some shit. I can see the ladies riding around jamming it, but I feel weird listening to it all the way through. Oh wait, she came and rapped at the end and killed it after Will.I.Am's signature beat change mid-song. Overall the song is less than okay...


9. Blazin' ft Kanye West - OK, this song catches my attention. I think she tries to shine on songs with other rappers, and if that's what it takes to yank the talent out of her, then she should've just featured BET's top rappers list on the whole album. Damn, Kanye spit long as hell and killed it. He still comes out winning this week cuz he's featured on her album if she sells more units...haaaa...wait she's on his too...well win/win then.


10. Here I Am - Another song filled with emotion and a message. Kind of a part 2 to the first song in my opinion. She caps it off with "I am woman hear me roar"...ummm...ok...


11. Dear Old Nicki - Yet another rise to stardom song, but at least its put in a unique way. Basically speaking to her old self and how she had to change to make it, while leaving her old self behind. At least she admits she sold out to reach stardom...kudos Nicki.


12. Your Love - To be honest I never liked this song. Especially the mindless "BA BA da di do" chants. Next...


13. Last Chance ft Natasha Bedingfield - Another bubbly, pop, girly song. Sounds like an ode to the WNBA with all the basketball references. Lol I can't stop laughing though...its so corny...


14. Massive Attack - Yo somebody, anybody, explain to me what tha FUCK this song is talking bout? Then all I get is the visual of the video with them monkey dudes in the jungle doing all kinds of weird shit. This little lyric says it all: "its just me, Mr. Miyagi and the Phantom of the Opera going Blockah"...WTF are you saying, b?


15. Hello, Good Morning? Ft Rick Ross & Dirty Money - Yea I put the question mark right there because I was kind of confused that this song was on the album. She should've just put 'Monster' with Jay and Kanye on here instead of this song. But wait...she fucks with Diddy huh? Yeah he had to get his ass on here somewhere lol. Kind of a disappointing last song....nah I take that back. A VERY disappointing last song. Smh.


So in general I'll give this album a D+ it was so mediocre for such a hyped young lady, but maybe my mind set of her being so hyped is what's causing my disappointment. It seems like Romans Revenge and Did It On 'Em were her best efforts and then got kind of lazy with the rest. The album has its highlights, but if we're comparing apples to apples, Lil Kim's Hardcore took a massive shit on this album. I commend her for dropping the album in this day and age of mixtapes and single deals, but clearly it wasn't worth the wait. I went in listening completely unbiased and with an honest open ear, and nope...I'm not fucking with this joint.


Don't forget to follow us on twitter @Brian_Chase, @RespecThisFresh until next time ya'll be cool...

0 comments: