SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION! : (
TWITTER   FACEBOOK   RSS                                                                                  

Saturday, July 17, 2010

ALBUM REVIEW: RICK ROSS - TEFLON DON



Rick Ross, better known these days as Ricky Rozay (due to the “real” Rick Ross’ lawsuit situation),has a new installment to offer- "Teflon Don." Ross has had a lot of personal attacks since the last album. He's gathered himself nicely after the corrections officer debacle, feuds with 50 Cent and a whole new twist on baby mama drama...especially when 50 enlisted Ross’ to aid in the feud. In spite of it all, Mr.Rozay has stayed busy. He's had mixtapes and quite a few notable remixes to keep things buzzing; to now, the moment we’ve been waiting on. Can he deliver under all the hype and scrutiny? I took the time to really go in and listen as if I’d never heard of this dude- with fresh ears. I listened to what it is and not what it’s supposed to be. Can "Teflon Don" be considered to be "The Classic," fulfilling the marketing plan that's been built up by the "machine?" I’m going In...
The album starts with “I’m Not a Star,” which is a perfect intro track. The beat grabs you instantly, The J.U.S.T.I.C.E League nails that trap-heavy sound, which is ever so popular these days. Ross goes in on the life, and comfortably steps in the shoes of the man figuring he deserves the crown. He asks the question how could he not be a star, in a don’t you see it kind of way. This track doesn’t disappoint. S. Carter makes a guest appearance on the Inkredibles-produced “Free Mason”, Ross goes in first, and it’s what you’d expect. Honestly, before I heard it, the buzz was OMG, Jay killed it, Jay killed it. I agree. I mean, Jay’s verse is clearly the highlight of the song. John Legend on the hook, brings that vibe he brings well, but clearly. The whole song drifts in the fog of Jay’s verse.
The heartfelt soulful feel of “Tears of Joy” featuring Cee-Lo, goes left of Rozaaay’s usual demeanor. The vulnerability, self-spokeness and the reflective approach is fresh. No-Id crafts the sound nicely. From a production standpoint, the J.U.S.T.I.C.E League's newest installment of the collection, "Maybach Music 3," sounds more like a movie score than your typical beat-smith cooking. This beat is amazing. Tip’s verse doesn’t disappoint, and Jadakiss was a very nice addition to this one. What more needs to be said about that? Erykah Badu fits in perfectly. Ross does his thing on this one, but the beat is the star.
Next, the Kanye West and No Id produced “Live Fast and Die Young” has a reminiscent sound or so from the "College Dropout" days. This one sounds dated, and doesn’t add anything to the aura of the album. But with that said, it’s one of those that has to grow on you. Ross does his floss and bigger than life wordplay, and Kanye, along with the beat, sound dated. I’m not sure who wins with this one. Maybe No Id, because if you didn’t know it, you wouldn’t know he was a contributor. Up next, Clark Kent and Remedy produce an easy head nod from start to finish. Ross doesn’t disappoint and does him, the way he does him. Ne-Yo brings the sleek smoothness you would expect. Lastly, Don Cannon adds some turntable skills to make this track a clear stand out.
Diddy and Trey Songz aid the Boss on the Danja produced “#1.” This one is the epitome of a shoulder shrug. This song doesn’t do it for me, but the vibe is good. Moving on, “M.C. Hammer,” produced by Lex Luger, wakes you up if you dosed off from the last track. With that heavy, you know something’s coming intro with 808’s and snare rolls blaring after. Honestly, all Ross has to do is show up for this one. Ross does his thing, “My gun dirty/my brick clean/ I’m riding dirty/my dick clean/ she talk dirty/but her mouth clean/ bitch, I’m M.C. Hammer, I’m about cream." Gucci Mane aids Ross on this one. This is one Ross clearly wins.
If it ain’t broke don’t fix it, if you think you just heard this song. Kinda sorta, The “BMF” produced by Lex Luger joint bares a similar comparison, to say the least, to the last song. But honestly, this one is better. I mean, twitter etc, etc. Everybody thinks they're somebody due to the infectious hook. “I think I’m Big Meech, Larry Hoover/ whipping work (hallelujah). This joint doesn’t disappoint at all. Then to add the Ghost, Styles P aids nicely to the allure of this track. Everybody wins on this one. The J.U.S.T.I.C.E League comes again with a nicely crafted production for “Aston Martin Music," more of a sporty, polo clubbish feel, if you will. Collaborations include the other man of the hour, Drake, as he croons. Chrisette Michelle delivers another nostalgic feel to improve the sound greatly. Ross does what you would expect; paint a picture of the life, and him being of it.
Aghhh, the closer “All the Money in The World” produced by The Olympicks serve up a Jeezy-ish track, featuring Raphael Saadiq. Now on paper, I was wondering how this was going to play out. It didn’t, merely how I expected. Saadiq on a hook? And this is what we get? Ross spits tales about the upbringing of a young Rozaaay, his hardships and how he became to be today. This is one of those, fuck it I’m rich moments it seems. The beat doesn’t disappoint, but the hook on the other hand. And Ross’, debut singing. The beat wins this one, easy money.
Over all, "Teflon Don" by Rick Ross has a decent sound. Though similar at times, but it’s not bad. Clearly, "Maybach Music 3" and "BMF" are the standouts. And the others serve as fillers. For me, I kinda wish the whole thing, other than "BMF" was produced by the J.U.S.T.I.C.E League. They seem to bring the best out of Ricky. Now the “C” word, what do you consider a classic, likeability or the product? Many would say considering the quality of what else is out. Oh yeah, this has to be. Others would say nope flat out. I think Ross did his thing; it’s pretty much what you thought it was going to be without listening to it, I think of Ross. I think beats first, honestly. Though the subject matter grew a tad, things are pretty much the same. Other than the two standouts and “Tears of Joy“ and “Super High,” I think the others will be quickly forgotten. Still, "Teflon Don" is a decent pick up.



out of 5 Maybach 62’s(Rozaaaaaay!!)

0 comments: